October 16, 2011
Red tape strangles "lost city" excavation
A project to excavate a small portion of a 1923 silent-movie set buried in the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes — already derailed Sept. 30 by a Santa Barbara County permit snafu — will not happen this year even with an expedited permit process.Full story here.
That’s the assessment offered Friday by filmmaker Peter Brosnan and the project’s lead archeologist, John Parker.
And Brosnan, who has spent nearly 30 years securing funding for the project, said it may not happen at all.
“We had a very well-planned project, which was utterly derailed at the last minute,” said Brosnan. “We’re going to have to do a very thorough assessment of all the bits and pieces, and see how the permit process goes. It’s way too early, and our heads are still spinning, to make a prediction.”
The excavation, which would involve about 50 cubic yards of sand, was approved in January by county planners, and was supposed to have started last week.
Posted by David on October 16, 2011 6:21 PM